Sunday, November 23, 2008

Calling All Engineers Who Want To Be A Part Of Evolution Engineered!

As to be expected when your chosen profession is engineering, work has a tendency to become insanely busy, which it recently has. Couple that with house issues (one of which may make an interesting post, once it becomes resolved) and family life, and I find myself with very little time for posting and/or commenting here at EE.

I am very pleased with how EE has developed during its short existence. There have been several excellent and lively discussions (sometimes too lively!). So much so that I have not had the time to properly investigate some commenters claims.

I have come to the conclusion that EE has become such a sucess that it is too much for one practicing engineer to maintain. Therefore, I am putting out a call for any interested engineers who wish to post here at EE. I don't care if you're on one side or the other; I believe I have more than demonstrated my tolerance for hearing out both sides. I want to hear what engineers think about evolution and ID.

For those interested in writing posts for EE, email me at JJS.PEng@gmail.com

4 comments:

  1. Do you have any indication of how many engineers are reading this blog?

    I hope that it's not just you and me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I know at least one other engineer who pops in once in a while (Steve Petermann). If there are any others, they may just be interested readers.

    Either way, I'll have this post linked to on the right in the near future.

    As for yourself, you're more than welcome to submit a post for EE. I respect your comments, even though we find ourselves on opposite "sides" of this debate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From your original post:
    I believe I have more than demonstrated my tolerance for hearing out both sides.

    Yes, you listen and you sincerely try to understand. That has won you helpful info instead of ridicule from ID critics. At the risk of speaking on behalf of the other ones, I would say that our main beef is that you could have found out a lot of this stuff on your own, if your reading list wasn't so one-sided.

    From your comment:
    As for yourself, you're more than welcome to submit a post for EE.

    Thanks much. Maybe at some point I will. Right now is a busy time for me too. I still haven't made it through Mike Gene's The Design Matrix.

    As I mentioned before, I would like to someday write a commentary on the engineering discussions in that book. He draws there many analogies between biology and engineering. I'm not ready to make a full response to what he says about that. But for now I'll just ask you to notice that he does not claim that ID is like engineering. (Yet another instance of where he is smarter than most other IDists, including most of his fans.)

    I too see similarities between biology and engineering, but the similarities I see explain why ID is as useless to the practice of biology as it is to the practice of engineering. [I'm going to leave that as an unsupported statement for now because it is just a preview. But many of my earlier comments on this blog tie into this.]

    ReplyDelete
  4. "At the risk of speaking on behalf of the other ones, I would say that our main beef is that you could have found out a lot of this stuff on your own, if your reading list wasn't so one-sided."

    Part of the reason for it being one-sided was how I was introduced to the Evolution/ID debate. When time permits (which, as you know, for an engineer, is not very often) I hope to even the playing field (so to speak)

    "As I mentioned before, I would like to someday write a commentary on the engineering discussions in that book."

    If you wish, you are more than welcome to post that review at EE.

    "I too see similarities between biology and engineering, but the similarities I see explain why ID is as useless to the practice of biology as it is to the practice of engineering. [I'm going to leave that as an unsupported statement for now because it is just a preview. But many of my earlier comments on this blog tie into this.]"

    Oh you tease ;)

    ReplyDelete