Saturday, September 20, 2008

Paging Dr. Heddle (or Some Other Physicist-Type Person)!

Thanks to a lack of posts that I feel I can competently comment on or are worth commenting on (I blame you UD and AtBC!), I was wandering down one of my favourite site, What You Ought to Know, and watched the episode, Gravity, You Failed Us.

I want to know two things:

1. Explain in layman terms - or maybe undergrad physics terms - what the big deal is with solving for a Three-Body System, and

2. Is there something to this "Electric Universe" thingy?

Feel free to discuss here,

2 comments:

  1. AAAAHHHHH!!! There's an engineer in the linked video! heh heh

    Ah, he's a "Sparky".

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the video, at 1:23

    "In science, the simplest or most elegant answer is usually considered the right one."

    As I point out in Science history: more on geocentricism, heliocentricism, and epicycles, and elswhere, Copernican theory was rejected by Tycho Brahe (the pre-eminent observational astronomer and a Mentor of Kepler) and Michael Maestlin (another mentor of Kepler), on the grounds that geocentricism was simplier, most elegant, and the heliocentricism has no observational evidence in support of it (at the time, in the sixteenth century).

    With regard to ID, it is interesting that Kepler was allowed to pursue geocentricism, and learned about it, by two men who thought it was unscientific rubish.

    Regarding the failure of the three body model, I am not up on this, but I suspect it is just an inability to solve a large set of simultaneious differential equeations.

    I think similar mathematical failures also exist for certain simple elements whose Schrödinger equation cannot yet be solved.

    ReplyDelete